Monday, November 15, 2010

The Prosperity of the Grackle


(The Prosperity of the Grackle, Artist: Troy Johnson)




Something, if not somebody, is prospering in this economy.  Did you know that a group of grackles is popularly referred to as a plague?   Are we sure they didn't appear during ancient Biblical times?  They have surely appeared in the thousands in my home town.  They covered half of the Wal-Mart parking lot that I visited this morning.  It was about 6 a.m. and there weren't many cars, so I was tempted to drive responsibly into the crowd of them and watch them scatter.

Of course that brings up at least a couple potential problems.  One, are there grackle enthusiasts who would get video of my little escapade and use it in some animal rights campaign?  Two, how much wiper fluid did I have exactly in the tank?  So I opted out- this time.  Still I'm tempted.

Not until I moved to Texas in 2000 did I begin to learn that a grackle is essentially a blackbird, having some distinct differences.  The grackle is taller and has a longer tail, as well and more glossy iridescence.  They eat a lot of corn and garbage, among other things.  They can't shut their yaps and they torpedo the concrete with their little white bootie bombs.

They've taken over my city.  They are one prosperous plague.  Just don't tell me there is a government program to subsidize their diet.  This is one area where the retail sector can handle that charity :)

May your day be plague-free!

Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment